Semmelweis University Translational Medicine PhD training
Advance Your Career with Our Cutting-Edge PhD Training Program in Translational Medicine
Join a community of passionate researchers, dedicated mentors, and innovative thinkers
About the Program:
The PHD PROGRAM covers all aspects of the TM Cycle. The program helps students to become critical consumers of medical research papers, to gather primary data on health issues through questioning and observation, and to conduct biomedical research. Students will gain an understanding of the planning of clinical research, including systematic reviews, patient registries and clinical trials, by designing an extended project in study groups, which are led by experienced members of the TM Centre.
Outcomes of the Program:
Participants will be able to understand the concept of the healthcare delivery science as part of the translational medicine cycle
At the end of the training, participants will learn the main points of setting up a patient registry, initiating a clinical trial, or conducting a comprehensive systematic review with meta-analysis.
Critically appraise clinical research studies using a systematic approach.
Define the basic knowledges and skills required in translational research.
Grow the professional international network of translational researchers.
PhD degree with high level scientific achievements
In addition, participants will gain presentation skills, debating skills, language skills, and organizational skills.
The program's flexible and personalized nature can be tailored to each student's individual interests and career goals
Career Path Model:
In addition to the methodological learning, our centre gives the possibility to take part in the development of the training and to be active participants of the coordinator team.
Undergraduate student or Science Methodology LEARNER (SML) – may take part in the program by joining a research group, by this they will have a granted position to participate in the PhD training and will be listed as co-authors in the given project.
1st year PhD student or Science Methodology PRACTITIONER (SMP) – students in their first year focus on learning the methodology and starting their projects, for this the centre provides the coordination, statistical and IT background.
2nd year PhD student or Science Methodology SUPERVISOR (SMS) – selected students will be able to join the centre’s coordinator team, by this being able to participate in multiple projects and will be employed by the centre.
3rd year PhD student or Science Methodology ADVISOR (SMA) – students with substantial commitment to the centre may continue their coordinator role, by this they will be able to participate in multicentric trials and in advanced courses.
4th year PhD students or Science Methodology EXPERTS (SME) – only with invitation. This is the ultimate level in the program. These students will be selected as leaders in the centre, they will be able to participate in international trainings, they will be nominated as junior members of Academy of Science.
Faculty and Mentorship:
Each student will be paired with a faculty mentor who will work with them throughout the program, providing guidance and support as you pursue your research interests.
We are committed to your success!
Hear how the program has helped our students achieve their goals
Continuous support is offered by:
1. An Expert Discussant is appointed for each group. She/He is a highly experienced physician-scientist who provides help from the design of the study until the publication. She/He helps the students (1) to polish their projects, (2) to find the big picture and (3) challenges them week after week.
2. The group leaders are experienced physician-scientists who are well known representatives of the given field and have a record of high level research productivity.
3. The supervisor of each fellow is senior clinicians (expert) who raises relevant clinical questions, determines the direction of the research and bridges the gap between the theoretical and clinical work in the clinical PhD program. These tutors continuously lead the research work of the fellows during the whole program.
4. Scientific methodology supervisors (SMS) are a methodologist who has experience in designing and carrying out translational research projects and provides methodological support in various aspects of science including meta-analyses, patient registries, and clinical trials.
5. Science methodology advisor and expert (SMA and SME) are highly experienced methodologists who are responsible for the development of the learning material, for the SMS group, and provide the coordination for the different scientific methods, e.g. meta-analysis coordinator
6. Biostatisticians are appointed to each group to provide valuable help for the statistical work of the project.
1. Educational supervisors are expert in the various fields taught through courses to the fellows. Such courses include meta-analysis, patient registry, clinical trial, biostatistics, data handling and clinical pharmacology. Statisticians are appointed to each group to provide valuable help for the statistical work of the project.
2. IT team continuously provides help in the development of the electronic case report forms. In addition, they will help with the testing of the electronic interface and ensures the coordination of maintenance.
3. Ethical coordinator helps with the process of ethical licensing, obtaining, preparing and submitting the documentation required for ethical approval to the relevant authorities. Consultation with the principal investigator during the process.
4. Soft skill trainers provide education regarding the art of scientific communication and networking.
Submit your applications here: Application forms
Registration start: January 1, 2023
Webinar: March 28, 2023 18:00 (Hungarian), March 29, 2023 18:00 (English)
(click on the dates to get redirected to the webinar)
Pre-application: May 1, 2023
Completing the registration: May 15, 2023
Interviews: Middle of June, 2023
Acceptance by: first half of July, 2023
Start of the program: August 28, 2023
Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
SU, Centre for Translational Medicine | HU-1085 Üllői út, nr. 26, 3rd floor, Office T7